The Workers of God (Judges 3:1-31)
The Workers of God
1. The lives that have no power (Jud. 3:1-6)
1) God has left all nations to Israelites (3:1-4)
(1) To test and see whether they would obey the LORD's commands (3:4)
The covenant through the ancestors (Joshua's will)
- Josh. 23:6 - "Be very strong; be careful to obey all that is written in the Book of the Law of Moses, without turning aside to the right or to the left."
- Josh. 23:8 - But you are to hold fast to the LORD your God, as you have until now.
- Josh. 23:11 - so be very careful to love the LORD your God.
- Josh. 24:23 - "Now then," said Joshua, "throw away the foreign gods that are among you and yield your hearts to the LORD, the God of Israel."
2) Israelites failed the test (Jud. 3:6)
- Inter marriage - Serving Idols (Power of Idols)
2. The anger of the Lord (Jud. 3:7-14)
1) Reason for God's anger
- Heb. 12:6-11 - Because God loves us, when we go into the wrong and failing way, God gets angry.
- Heb. 12:8 - If you are not disciplined (and everyone undergoes discipline), then you are illegitimate children and not true sons.
- Heb. 12:9 - Moreover, we have all had human fathers who disciplined us and we respected them for it. How much more should we submit to the Father of our spirits and live!
(1) The anger of the LORD burned against Israel (Jud. 3:7)
- Idol Worship - God hates it the most (Exo. 20:3-6) - Baals and Asherahs
- Because they did not love God, they did not obey His Word
(2) The method of God's anger (Jud. 3:8)
- Made them as tributary of Cushan-Rishathaim
(3) The purpose of God's anger (Jud. 3:9)
- For their repentance (They cried out to the LORD)
- Isa. 58:9 - Then your light will break forth like the dawn, and your healing will quickly appear; then your righteousness will go before you, and the glory of the LORD will be your rear guard.
- Psalms 50:15 - "and call upon me in the day of trouble; I will deliver you, and you will honor me."
3. Congregation and Repentance (Jud. 3:15-23)
1) Repentance makes God be God (Jud. 3:9,15)
- Isa. 59:1-2
2) Repentance is the greatest offering that God receives
- The offering that God seeks the most is the spirit (Psalms 51:17)
3) Repentance is a successful door of failing congregation
4. The workers of God
1) Othniel - Jud. 3:7-10
2) Ehud - Jud. 3:18-21, 3:28
4) Shamgar - Jud. 3:31
- For your successful life,
- Leave behind your idols
- Love God
- Obey His Word (Deut. 28:1-15)